Jesse Bennett is the director of Jesse Bennet Studio that create spaces that inspire and enrich everyday life. Jesse and his partner Anne-Marie – Interior Designer – share a philosophy of embracing the concept of simple living and employ climatic design principles to deliver functional, joyful homes and projects for their clients.
Jesse has developed his knowledge and skills over the past 20 years within the field of architecture, design and building procurement. Time spent studying Architecture in Italy, as well as a diverse range of interests inform his unique point of view.
In 2015, Jesse received the AIA’s ‘Robin Boyd Award’ being the youngest architect to have it awarded. Last year, Jesse Bennett Studio entered the Think Brick Awards for the first time. Their sophisticated project, Tjuringa House, received a High Commendation in a highly competitive category, ‘Horbury Hunt Residential’; and was a winner of the ‘New Entrant Award’.
Jesse is particularly skilled in the building science of ‘Passive Design’, effectively designing buildings to thermally perform as best as possible within the given environment, without reliance on mechanical heating or cooling. As such, his buildings naturally resonate with the surrounding environment and provide efficient outcomes.
In this episode, your host Elizabeth McIntyre, and Jesse are having a compelling conversation about ‘passive design’, its principles, and misconceptions. Jesse also shares his thoughts on challenges of being an architect, Awards programs, and secrets behind his winning projects – Tjuringa House and Planchonella House.
Listen to this episode if you’re interested in the following:
- Where Jesse’s inspiration originates from;
- Jesse’s approach to design and conceptualization
- Challenges of working for big architectural firms
- Why architecture is a great choice as a profession if you love art
- What elements truly make your design to be considered as a ‘passive design’
- How history affects architecture and architectural styles
- Why you should not overthink your designs
- What you should be focused on when designing a project
- Biggest influential outcomes for Jesse from his travels.
- Who plays a critical role in success in Jesse’s designs
- Why keeping it simple is beneficial for ‘passive design’
- Why entering Awards is always a great idea
- Advice for architects and designers entering the first time
- Challenges and tricky situations Jesse’s Studio encompassed designing and building Tjuringa House
- Why Jesse loves brick, and what role it plays in his design philosophy
- Role of environment and surroundings for a project
- How to communicate with your clients
Mentioned in this episode:
Follow us and Jesse Bennett Studio on social: